Monday, May 25, 2009

Twitter.


I gave in. My friend Edward gave a seminar on Twitter this past Tuesday, and I felt like it was time to sign up. It seems like a good way to share news and an easy way to update my Facebook status.

But I have one big reservation: I don't want to know what Ashton Kutcher (or anyone else that I'm not close with) does throughout the day. It feels like I'm intruding, like I don't care enough that I should know his lunch menu or the color of his dog's poo. And likewise, I don't want to share things about my daily routine with my random followers--I would rather share that stuff with people that I am close with.

Or am I missing a great opportunity to brand myself?

Am I the only one who has this problem? What do you guys think? Twitter: useful tool or privacy killer?

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I feel like Twitter isn't very fun if you don't have a lot of friends who use it. Eddie and I got Twitter about a year ago but we never use it. If I want to update and ask a question to a bunch of people, I just use Facebook. But that's because I have all of 6 followers on Twitter. =)

Unknown said...

I just was invited to follow someone on Twitter today. I can't text (I know I'm old) so how/why would I want to do this when I can speak to them with my own voice by just dialing them on my phone? I agree with you, David, sometimes it's just TMI to have that much contact with someone you don't know very well.

Anonymous said...

Hey David, I read this and thought it might help you connect your twittering (tweeting??) to your quarterlife crisis processing.:)

http://zenhabits.net/2009/06/9-ways-to-twitter-your-personal-development/

-Betsy