Monday, June 01, 2009

disappointment and following your dreams part 1: Astronauts

A couple of weeks ago I posted about the quarterlife crisis, and the post has bothered me ever since. I think it needs more explanation. Here's part of what I wrote:
We grew up with big dreams, but the reality of adult life is not like our dreams--and it takes us a few years to sort through the professional, relational, and emotional letdowns. It doesn't really matter what generation we're a part of, at some point our childhood dreams have to be altered to fit with reality.
(you should probably read the rest of the post before going on...link above)

I don't regret the post--but I want to make sure you don't get the wrong idea. I believe in "following you dreams" but in my own way.

When I was in third grade, I did a report on the solar system. It was awesome! I threw myself into the project, reading book after book about the planets, the sun, the possibility of life on other planets. I was passionate about space--I could talk about it for hours. When the project was done, I was convinced that I would become an astronaut.

But I'm not an astronaut. I work in finance. What happened?

Well, to become an astronaut, I would have had to study a lot of science. But I didn't know that (I guess no one ever told me, or I didn't ask). So when I entered high school, I quickly decided that science was my least favorite subject. You know what high school chemistry is like... I also had no idea that I would have had to join the Air Force. I have never seriously considered joining the armed forces.

So in essence there were two problems with my dream to become an astronaut:
1. Lack of information- Simply, I didn't know what it would take to become an astronaut.
2. Lack of drive- I didn't know what it would take to become an astronaut, and I didn't care enough to find out. Remember this was 1992, before Google and Wikipedia.

Without drive, dreams will die. When I was in third grade, imagining my life as an astronaut was so glorious and, in some ways, seemed so easy. But becoming an astronaut—really, succeeding in any field—is difficult.
Drive is essential. To follow our dreams we must have the faith and resilience to desire our goal even when disappointment stands in our way.

Disappointment is toxic; it can be paralyzing. Somehow, somehow we must attain the drive to push through it.

If I was driven to become an astronaut, I could have sought out more information about the field. I could have pushed through chemistry and physics, catching glimpses of the stars through the library windows. I could have endured basic training and played the military game, knowing that I was running a race worth winning.

But I didn’t and that’s okay. Becoming an astronaut was one of seven or eight dreams that I had as a child—I’m still pursuing three! And I have learned that if I am going to attain any of these three, then drive is essential.

“Following your dreams” is a Commencement Speech cliche; I dislike it because it's overused. But the concept is important. We each have desires, and we ought to pursue them. I hope you will. I hope you know that it will be difficult. I hope also that you know it will be worth it.

I confess that my drive is worse than most. Thank God I’ve had some help. Here's one book that helped me. Here's another.

4 comments:

Lexie said...

also, being an astronaut would have been a bad fit for you since you don't like science! that's another filter for our dreams... when we do find out more and realize it's not really what we think it will be. Another filter (i've been thinking about this dream thing too lately) is time constraints... excitable people just won't have time realistically to do all the things they want to do. I was thinking about this the other day as I was day-dreaming about getting married and having kids at the same time as day-dreaming about running headlong into community organizing and leadership development here. I had this shock of "Omg, what if that actually happens... that means I can't go back to the U.S. for grad school!!" I have no idea what will actually happen of course, but some things i want will have to fall by the wayside... or just wait.

Davidthird said...

Thanks for the response Lex. I think you're right, I wasn't cut out to be an astronaut. But I am somewhat interested in science.

I agree with you about time constraints to an extent--I don't think anyone can pursue all of their dreams, certainly not at once. But Richard Foster says that be overestimate what we can accomplish in one year but underestimate what we can accomplish in ten years. That's exciting to me. I bet you could become a great community organizer, have a family, and go to grad school all in the next ten years. That's very do-able.

Cynthia said...

as a former community organizer i have serious doubts about whether it's all doable in the same time period. but possibly sequentially.

Unknown said...

Hey, D. I am an example of how God knows when to open doors to dreams which we thought had died. Never say it is too late or not for you. Of course disappointment is part of the process and at times I pined for the "what could have been". But, who knew I would be a LEED accredited professional working in the field of sustainable architecture in my next career. Just a few years ago the most important thing I was doing was raising children and I don't regret those years in the least, but I always had a desire to follow that little voice of God saying you can be more, just wait for me to show you...