Friday, January 30, 2009

This week's Economist cartoon


I'm not usually struck by political cartoons, but this week Kevin Kallaugher did a really thoughtful sketch for The Economist. Obama is extending his hand to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and a bunch of Ayatollahs--and in response the Iranian leaders shrink back in fear.

Our president has proposed greater diplomacy to counter the terrorist threat--particularly in regard to Iran. Diplomacy sounds nice because it does not directly involve guns or tanks, but maybe it's more than nice. Maybe diplomacy has a power that violence does not, maybe diplomacy will restore peace to our world by disarming our enemies and softening their hearts.

Jesus said, "Blessed are the peacemakers for they will be called sons of God." But I remember that King David also lamented, "I am a man of peace; but when I speak, they are for war."

I follow Jesus, so I want to be a peacemaker. But it seems that being a peacemaker doesn't necessarily mean that there will be peace.

See the full cartoon here.

No comments: